The Laura Dion-Jones Show Announces:


Laura Dion-Jones Promo 1 & Laura Dion-Jones Promo 2


Sunday, June 6, 2010

Dear Laura:

OMG, I went on that elliptical machine at the Y and it was awesome. For the first time, I could only handle 13 minutes but I thought it was pretty good for a beginner. I finished my cardio day on the treadmill with another 25 minutes, so I thought that was pretty good for a first day working out at the Y.

As far as diet goes, I will be combining my own form of Weight Watchers and Atkins – a slower way to lose weight, but I’d like to keep it off for good. I did really well with Atkins last time I went on it, adding fruits mostly because I am a big fruit lover and prefer that over breads and sweets, actually.

Looking forward to exercise more, though.

See you on Wednesday for our 1st weigh in at the Y.

L

Dear L:

Congratulations on your first real cardio workout day at the Y. I’d caution you about doing too much right off the bat since you're not used to it yet. The idea is to first develop the daily cardio habit. If you begin with too big a bite, you risk losing interest because on the second or third or forth day you could decide, "heck with it, this is just too hard."

There is no true and everlasting weight loss without daily cardio. Trust me on this.

Wherever you begin, make sure it’s something you can live with on a daily basis and then build on, add to, as you get into the swing of practicing cardio every day.

And I’m glad you have a diet plan. A few of the other new EBls do not – they just say they want to “eat healthier.”

What I need to know from everyone, including the politicians on the anti-obesity bandwagon is: What exactly does “healthy eating” mean to you?

Without an actual plan, a real road map, you will get nowhere. It’s very easy to trick yourself into thinking you’re “eating healthy” with all the misinformation in the media.

You have to pick a diet that works for you from the minute you start. We’ll monitor your progress and reassess in a few weeks.

And as far as adding fruits into your diet plan, if I were you, I'd stick with LOW glycemic fruits like cantaloupe, honey dew and strawberries - read the glycemic index of watermellon and you'll never tough the stuff again - no matter how much you love it. I eat a little every summer, just to remind myself of how wonderful it tastes, but how detrimental it is to my low carb diet.

One of the EBL 1's fessed up she was eating watermellon and pineapple and once we discovered this, it was apparent why she wasn't losing any weight! I made the same mistake at the beginning of my weight loss, too - and promptly cut out all but the lower glycemic fruits. See the low carb legal food list I gave you in your EBL intro packet and use that as your guide.

Great going. Keep up the good work.

I look forward to hearing more . . .

BEST,

Laura

4 comments:

  1. Hey Laura - I haven't had any pineapple since that day, I can do without it. as for watermelon I have had it once. been eating cantalope. I love cucumbers and eat 2 a day (please don't tell me they are bad), waiting til I can pick them from my garden and not have to go to the store. C u on Wednesday.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. MIchi:
    I think you're doing just wonderful - especially now that we know it was mostly the watermelon and pineapple!
    Cantaloupe, honey dew and strawberries are the best, lowest glycemic fruits for a low carb diet. Cuckes are great, too. Zero carbs! What else ya got growin' in that garden of yours?
    And GO HAWKS!!!
    I think they'll take the Cup, but it'll take 'em 7 games . . .
    C U on Wednesday, 2!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your not gonna like to hear everything i'm growing, such as tomato's, for bruschetta ans salsa, also have lots of peppers, zucchini, cantalope and watermelon. with all the rain lately it has been growing fast.

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  4. Healthy eating to me means eating clean. Mostly fruits and vegetables, whole-grain carbs, and low-fat protein. My personal opinion is you run into trouble when you completely cut foods from your diet. That's why I don't follow a "diet" per se. I plan to track the calorie content of my food focusing mostly on the foods above. Thanks Laura and Lisa! Looking forward to Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete