The Laura Dion-Jones Show Announces:


Laura Dion-Jones Promo 1 & Laura Dion-Jones Promo 2


Monday, July 5, 2010

My Nephew Lost Over 100 Pounds!


"The difference between a successful person and others is
not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge,
but rather a lack of will."

Vincent T. Lombardi, 1913-1970
Coach, Green Bay Packers


I've noticed lately that some of you lack the will to actually lose weight - and some get mad at me when you don't. Like, it's MY fault!

I can't come and do it for you. However, if you pay me what they pay Jillian, I'll come to your house for "Losing it With Laura" and make sure you lose it, too.

Otherwise: when you run into a diet and walking roadblock, begin again right at that very moment. Make what you do each and every day count toward your improved health and a better way of life.

And stop whining to, and asking your friends for, their approval of your eating crap. It's not their body, not their health, not their life. It's all up to you and only you. No exceptions.

Ever notice how an unexpected e-mail, letter, or phone call can change the course of what you're doing.

I'm blown away by a wonderful e-mail I recently came across from my nephew when he was a 22-year old new college grad who I'd been harping to about losing weight for several years prior:


Hello, Auntie La,

I want to take some time and thank you for your help with my weight loss. I don't think I could have done it without you.

Although I never fully adopted the Atkins Diet like you did, I did adopt a few key elements of it like trying to avoid the bad, white, starchy carbs and sugars.

Your suggestion of the diet, and the example you set for me made me start to shy away from pizza, fried foods and the occasional, unneeded snack. (Trust me, this guy made a career out of the "occasional unneeded snack," and believe me, it was more than "occasional.")

In addition, your determination to get me to switch over to diet pop, as well as to drink more water, has also helped out tremendously. Every time I drink any regular soda now, I get sick from the amount of sugar that masks the taste.

All totaled, I have lost over 100lbs over the last two years with your encouragement and by your example.

Sometimes it's brutal, but all true and useful, and well worth it.

The weight I'm at right now is something I haven't experienced since I was young. Obvious benefits to me are the attention I get from the ladies, increased energy and way more self-confidence. I find I'm loving the way I now look, too.

But it's the little things that have me really excited.

I remember this summer when I could vividly recall my dreams from the night before. Before I lost the weight, when I slept, I couldn't recollect having any.

The simple joy of being able to touch the bottom of your bellybutton is just incredible (as well as way more sanitary).

The slob that I was before is something that I don't want to ever go back to.

I also wanted to commend you on your weight loss. You look absolutely outstanding. I have always remembered you as a beautiful person, however that is even more apparent today. Keep up the good work.

I love you and best wishes.

Andy


Well, it seems all my butt kicking over the last few years finally sunk in. I had no idea he was really paying attention until I began to see him gradually lose weight. And I don't get the chance to see him all that often, either.

Living with his grandmother, who was a retired grammar school chef, he had every comfort food know to man at his fingertips, and he took full advantage. He would have a two or three bagel snack every afternoon, I swear, slathered with butter, of course, and God knows what else.

The kid was on a bad carb collision course since he was a baby. Gorgeous beyond words in his infancy, I watched in horror as he not only grew up, but sideways as well.

I'd see him only occasionally throughout his childhood and then lost touch for several years until I unexpectedly received an invitation to his high school graduation four years ago.

When we got reacquainted, I was shocked to see how rotund he had grown. Not that I was in any position to point fingers about being overweight, tipping the scales at 317 pounds at one time, myself. I knew all too well what social and health horrors lay in store for him if he didn't do something to get all his extra weight off - and fast.

Outside of the morbid medical issues he was setting himself up for, I knew firsthand about the social prejudices and ridicule he would be exposed to just because of his size.

Somewhere along the way I got fed up enough with my own weight situation and discovered, after fifty years, how to get a grip on my own excess poundage.

As soon as I began to see my weight loss success materialize, I started coaching, cajoling, begging, pleading and then kicking his butt to do the same for himself.

When Andy went off to college, he worked his way through all four years as the assistant manager of a national pizza restaurant chain - intravenous pizza was always the order of the day. And breadsticks, and rip and dip, and you name it. If it was high in white starch or sugary carbs, he inhaled it.

For as big as he was, he insisted on drinking regular Coke all through college, not diet, and he was known to down six to eight cans in a day. There was absolutely no way I could get through to him about all the sugar carbs he was packing into his already bloated bod. He wanted nothing to do with "diet" anything much less Diet Coke. As far as he was concerned, the word "diet" in Diet Coke was just another four-letter word. No way was any of that un-macho stuff going to pass through his porky, little lips.

Andy would sooner die than have one of his frat brothers catch him swigging a Diet Coke while he studied or BS'd around the house. It just wasn't done. And it showed.

Now look. Sigh. He's gorgeous, and I mean gorgeous.

I've had many a talk with the kid over the past few years about his Grandmother's food not being love, because whenever he'd come home from school on weekends or on semester break, he'd stay at his Gram's house - and she'd ply him with her special home-made "love."

I know, personally, the conflict he faced every time he walked through her front door and was welcomed not only by her open arms but the alluring aromas she worked so hard to provide.

I was raised by my Gram and for a very long time I mistook, maybe even confused food for love, for need, for fulfillment, for wants, for desires, for passion. It happens to all of us and it's up to each one of us to snap ourselves out of that familial food trap.

Every time Andy and I would get together I would repeat a mantra: Food is not love. Food is not love. Remember, food is not love. Be strong. Resist temptation.

Apparently, all my reiteration finally sunk in. And did I mention that fatal heart trouble and diabetes run rampant on Andy's father's side of the family. Thankfully, Andy's Gramp on his father's side was my stepfather, so I'm absolved from all that mess as far as I know. But is anyone who is chronically obese really ever absolved from a mysterious medical future regardless if it's genetic or not? I'll let you know because I'm trying like hell to rectify all the damage I've done to myself with food all these years. Time will tell.

Oh, yeah, and Andy neglected to mention in his letter how important it is to his weight loss and maintenance plan that he joined a great, 24-hour health club conveniently close to his house and now works out at least 6 days a week. He also jogs every day instead of walks, but look at his age. I'd be jogging, too, if I were a tall, foxy, buff guy in my early twenties. Hell, I'd be jogging if I were anything in my early twenties.

I'm very proud of him. And if you saw him, you'd agree: he's ready for Hollywood, trust me.

Now it's your turn. Anyone can do what my nephew, others and I have done. All you have to do is want to, and evidently Andy wanted to bad enough. How badly do you want to lose weight? How badly do you want to move easier, more pain-free and be lighter on your feet? How badly do you want to have more energy? Breathe easier? Look better? Feel better? Sleep better?

Hmmm?

I think my nephew said it best when he wrote, "Sometimes it is brutal, but it's well worth it."

Actually, losing weight, becoming healthier, more fit and improving your over-all personal appearance isn't that difficult. The hardest part is getting started on a good, healthy diet that will work for you and then really sticking to it. Pick one you can make a part of your forever lifestyle.

No matter what else is going on in your life at the moment, your one constant should be how healthy you eat, how much you move, and how well you take care of yourself. If you don't take good care of yourself, I assure you, no one else will.

And be sure you walk every single day or do some other form of cardio - minimum of an hour a day, and lift weights three times a week. Trust me, this is key.

Andrew's a very lucky guy to have seen the light now rather than in his thirties, forties or fifties - if he even makes it that far, when all the years of being obese will have taken their ugly, insidious toll on his body, his heart and his health. My nephew didn't have to give up pizza entirely - he just needs to learn a new way of eating it. I'll have to work on him (and you) about that later.

It doesn't matter what diet or eating plan you chose to use - pick one that you can live with and get going, already.

What else are YOU willing to do to become more healthy?



550 N. Kingsbury St. #120
Chicago, IL 60654
312-933-7325
December 29, 2004©
dionjones@aol.com
www.lauradionjones.com

No comments:

Post a Comment