It is a uniquely American ideal-a volunteer's vision of giving.
She says that even the smallest token of sincere consideration can carry a message far beyond its size.
"When I lie down at night, here is the thing I always ask myself: 'Have I made at least one person a little healthier, a little happier or a little bit better today?' If I've learned anything, I've learned that a life is only important in the impact it has on other lives."
So said Laura Dion-Jones, YMCA Volunteer of the Year, honored last week at Villa Olivia Country Club in Bartlett.
The award was presented by Elizabeth Pendexter, executive director of the Prairie Valley Family YMCA-Taylor Family Branch in Elgin.
"We are pleased to present the Volunteer of the Year award to Laura Dion-Jones," Pendexter said at the not-for-profit organization's annual dinner. "Laura is a fitness motivator, walking guru, writer, lifestyle and fashion consultant and local radio show host. She first became involved with the Y as a child in the swim program and about a year ago connected with the Prairie Valley YMCA when she made making improving the health of Elgin residents her mission. Laura was in the process of developing her 'Elgin's Biggest Loser' program and partnered with the Y to give participants a place to meet for weekly motivational talks, weigh-ins and an option for physical activity. Laura quickly gave her all to create a partnership with the Y. She volunteered at our annual Shutdown and Golf Outing, she advocates for the Y on her radio show weekly and she donated her home in Florida to help us raise funds for our annual campaign. Laura exemplifies the spirit of a great Y volunteer in the sharing of her time, talent and treasure in an effort to strengthen the foundation of the Elgin community."
Dion-Jones said she was "overwhelmed" by the recognition.
"I'm just trying to make a difference," she said. "I know the importance of a positive push."
Since March 2010, Dion Jones has helped 144 people lose 1,520 pounds through her 12-week weight-loss program and competition, in which contestants meet at the Y every Wednesday.
For more information about Laura's original Elgin's Biggest Loser Motivational Weight Loss competition, please email Laura directly at

No comments:
Post a Comment